If someone made a movie of your life so far, what would the soundtrack be like? Which 10 tunes would have to be included? The scenes/snapshots to go with them? Here are mine:
1) “Amazing Grace” — growing up singing in a one-room church in Appalachia.
2) “Stars and Stripes Forever”— marching in the high school band.
3) “To Love Somebody” by the Bee Gees — college; Saturday night dances at Jack’s Blue Room; 40+ years with the same partner.
4) “One Love” by Bob Marley — falling in love with the Caribbean’s blue water and green hills and red flame trees.
5) “Dance With You” from Willie and Lobo’s Gypsy Boogaloo — discovering Latin music as a new mom and feeling connected to things that matter most.
6) “Cielito Lindo” by Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan — Mexican plazas, starry nights, men in boots and sequins singing mostly off key…ay, ay, ay, ay!
7) “El Condor Pasa”by Nanda Manachi — Ecuadorian Andes, wood smoke and candlelight, and the original haunting melody of the condor played in the place where it belongs.
8) “Wild Mountain Thyme” — Celtic music on summer road trips to the Eastern Shore, feeling connected to my Scots-Irish roots over time and distance.
9) Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” — memories, transitions, being “transported”… on a train from Dijon to Paris; in a gondola in Venice; walking the Stroget in Copenhagen; London’s Piccadilly Circus in the 70s; Seeing the “iron curtain” from a wine village in Austria; watching glider planes swoop into deep valleys in the Swiss Alps; driving the Autostrada del Sol, Florence to Rome; getting lost in Paris…
10)“Morning Has Broken” by Cat Stevens — those times when everything seems all right with the world.