“Go wherever you are drawn to go…and dance on the way.” ~ Rumi
When I was in elementary school I saw an advertisement in Parade Magazine for the Doubleday One-Dollar Book Club, which offered five books for a dollar if you agreed to buy one book a month for a year at the regular price. I had a dollar, so I joined. I did not think about how I was going to pay for the next book. That predicament was a whole month away.
I got into trouble. I didn’t have enough money for a book a month at the regular price, so for several months I received invoices and threats. Eventually, they stopped sending books. Today, I have hundreds. Every room has a shelf, a corner, or a table full of books. I don’t have a Kindle — yet. At the moment, I still prefer the look, feel, and smell of a real book.
One of the tomes in that first batch of five was entitled Around the World in 2,000 Pictures. I thought it was the most marvelous thing I’d ever seen. Today, few people would be interested. The pictures are small and in black and white, although they are well done. You can buy it on Amazon for a penny.
I traveled around the world through these 2,000 pictures long before setting foot out of Appalachia. I love going places almost as much as I love books. In a mini-book that fits in pocket or purse I have collected quotes from other folks about travel. Here then are some of my favorites:
1) “One’s destination is never a place but a new way of looking at things.” ~ Henry Miller
2) “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” ~ Anais Nin
3) “Two roads diverged in a wood and I — I took the one less traveled by.” ~ Robert Frost
4) “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” ~ James Michener
5) “I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” ~ Lillian Smith
6) “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” ~ Paul Theroux
7) “Real adventure — self-determined, self-motivated, often risky — forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world….This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” ~ Mark Jenkins
8) “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain
9) “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” ~ Miriam Beard
10) “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” ~ Mark Twain
The young Appalachian girl in TO COME AND GO LIKE MAGIC also dreams of travel.
See News and Reviews HERE!